VALLEJO – In-car cameras will be installed in 40 Vallejo Police Department vehicles in what marks the department’s newest step to increase transparency in policing. Axon’s Fleet 3 cameras will show activity in front of the police car as well as what is happening in the back seat. The cameras will record traffic stops, vehicle pursuits, transport of anyone under arrest, and more. Currently, VPD officers are equipped with Body Worn Cameras (BWC) to record interactions with community members.
“We are building trust through transparency by leveraging technology that provides greater officer safety, awareness, and real-time information,” Vallejo Chief Shawny K. Williams stated. “This is not only a win-win for our officers and community, but a force multiplier.
“Integrating these in-car cameras enhances our efficiency, effectiveness, and commitment to providing exceptional service to our community while also fulfilling our obligation to improve oversight and accountability. The cameras aid in protecting our residents and give our community greater confidence in the work our officers are doing,” Chief Williams continued.
Axon Fleet 3 In-Car Camera Highlights:
- Has Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR) capabilities, giving VPD eight times more plate reads for the same cost as traditional systems
- Provides a multi-lane view with audio in front of the patrol car
- Integration with national databases
- Added level of officer safety
- GPS of patrol car location
- Ability for supervisor to monitor live stream for additional oversight
- Rear facing camera with audio for suspects
- Provides an additional level of officer safety
- Provides additional oversight
VPD will begin using the Fleet 3 cameras by June of 2022. The Vallejo Police Department is proud to offer this innovative technology to our officers in our effort to bring our community exceptional public safety services.
Click here to learn more about VPD’s crime-fighting technology efforts. For media inquiries, please contact Public Information Officer, Brittany K. Jackson by email at VallejoPolicePIO@cityofvallejo.net. or by phone at (707) 651-7147.